Saturday, July 30, 2022

Solo Dad, Day 3

 I kinda thought it would be a bit longer before things started to unravel a bit. The novelty may be wearing thin as today was a day of conflict - mostly between the boys (who seem to be fighting a lot lately). 

That makes it sound worse than it is. Probably. 

Today wasn’t all bad. I was able to get a half-hour nap so that’s a positive. 

Ross was playing up his swollen foot (it is pretty big) until everyone wanted to go swimming. He thought he could go swimming without doing his chores because his foot hurt so bad. Nice try, buckaroo. Somehow his foot magically healed and the chores got done in near-record speed. 

We spent a couple hours at the pool. At some point June reminded me we didn’t have lunch. Oh yeah. I’m supposed to feed these kids. Bryce reminded me I promised donuts this morning so I guess I figured we were set until dinner. Apparently not. I agreed to let the kids, and their friends, have some snacks. This resulted in crumbs of all varieties all over the floor. I’m still trying to figure out how in the world that happens. I mean, they’re not throwing handfuls of crackers at their mouths hoping to get some in there but somehow the floor gets absolutely covered with crackers and crumbs. Go figure. 

Bryce said a couple things to me today that made me go “hmm”. Mostly because I’m not sure where they came from. 

Bryce: “Why are my eyes above my nose?”

Bryce (at bedtime): “I’m not really used to nighttime yet. I’m only five.”

Speaking of bedtime. Tonight is Ross’s turn to share my bed. If you know how Ross sleeps you’d know he uses a mountain of blankets and other assorted things (stuffed animals, beanbag chairs, pillows) and just kind of nestled in with them. I told him there’d be none of that in my bed but that didn’t stop him from trying to bring a box of stuffed animals and put that on his side of the bed while he settled in on mine. “But Dad, they’re going to bed too!” 

Yeah, that didn’t fly and the box ended up on the floor. Now we’ll see if Ross is a helicopter sleeper like Bryce, or if I’ll be able to sleep without feet or a head in my ribs. 

Oh, I didn’t post pictures of Ross’s poor foot. Here it is in its swollen glory. Poor kid! Got to learn to stop stepping on bees, or at least wear shoes when you do.




No comments: