Right now Avery has two questions that seem to be stuck on play-repeat; two questions that I can't tell you how happy I'd be if I never heard again:
1. "Will you tell me a story about when you were a little girl?" Yes, it sounds like such a sweet question at first and I'm grateful that she wants stories about things that have already happened instead of ones that I have to make up, but my childhood, while memorable, wasn't memorable enough to be coming up with an answer to it 100 times a day, seven days a week. Luckily some of my responses have been cool enough to be repeated upon special request (like when I slept in the bathtub on Christmas Eve or how as a toddler I used to run around in nothing but my birthday suit and Mr. Potato Head's glasses singing, "Hey-No!"), but even with repeats I'm burnt out. I've reached the point that I pretend I didn't hear her when she asks it, and sometimes (rarely) I even get away with it.
2. "What would ________ say?" While this question is easier to answer than the first, it still got old real quick cause Avery asks it after pretty much everything I say. For example, the other night I told her that Jason was gonna be home soon and asked what she thought we should make for dinner. "Cake batter and cookies," was her reply. "That doesn't sound very healthy," I countered. "What would Daddy say?" she queried. Honestly, he'd probably love it, but that's not my point. Asking what Mommy, Daddy, Junie, Grandma, Grandpa, the librarian, the doctor, the dentist, or the policeman would say is what Avery says all day long.
Inanimate objects are no exception. She wants to know what the honey bear, the eyeball, the tongue, the fly swatter, the glove, the toy or the leaf would say in any given situation. Last week after recovering from the trauma of getting a huge sliver in her foot she held up the unaffected foot and asked, "What did this foot say when the other one got a sliver?" Then holding up the other one she asked, "And what did this foot say?" A few days later we found a lamb's ear plant growing on the side of the road and talked about how it could be used as toilet paper in a pinch while camping. The next logical thing for her to ask was, "What would the lamb say if I used his ear for toilet paper?"
I'm not quite sure how to turn off the repeat button on these two questions, but all complaints aside, I wouldn't have my little broken record any other way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment