Saturday, December 1, 2012

Turkey Dinner...Or Was It Turkey?

We spent a great Thanksgiving weekend in Herriman with my parents and sister, Sarah.

Here are some things I was thankful for during those four days:

1. Sarah FINALLY getting her mission call the night we arrived. Look out Nicaragua, you're in for a treat!

2. A new, super comfy mattress on the guest bed we slept in.

3. 45 fun Ross relatives coming to dinner and all contributing delicious food. Everything was seriously sooo good! Everything, that is, except the Five Star Paula Dean Green Bean Casserole that I made. Disgusting! At least everything else was so good that I didn't feel like I'd spoiled the whole meal :)


4. Jason loving the "smoked turkey." Let me explain...(and he probably won't appreciate me sharing this story, but I thought it was so hilarious that it's going in here regardless ;) After the blessing on the food and before everyone started eating my mom explained that there were two smoked turkey breasts, one baked turkey and one baked ham. My dad then explained that the smoked turkey looked a little pink, not because it wasn't fully cooked, but just because it was smoked instead of baked. Well, Jason and I filled our plates and began to feast. When we were almost done I asked him what was the best thing he'd eaten in the meal. He said the smoked turkey. He then added that we had to buy a smoker some day because, "whenever your dad smokes anything it is soooo good." He went to get seconds of his beloved "smoked turkey," but when he came back his plate was full of baked ham. I had to ask, "Is that your smoked turkey?" He said yes it was. I had a good laugh and told him that the meat on his plate was actually baked ham. Hahaha! He explained that my dad had said the smoked turkey was a little pink so when he saw the pink ham he assumed that must be it. Gotta love that kid!

5. Getting to go on two dates with Jason, an extremely rare treat! One to see a movie and one to go to the Jazz vs. Kings game and watch Jimmer(thanks for the free tickets, Sar!)

6. Beautiful, warm weather for Thanksgiving and for chopping down our wee little Christmas tree. (It had to be small enough to fit in our trunk on the ride back to Rexburg and then in our wee little apartment :)

7. 11:00 o'clock church instead of 8:30 AM church, for obvious reasons, but also for the fact that it was right during Avery's nap time which made her super groggy and actually pretty well-behaved, unless you ask my dad. He says he just didn't remember how wiggly little kids were.

8. Getting to spend so much time with our family that we love so much. I was especially grateful to be with Jason for four days straight. Even though he still works the usual 40 hours a week at his new job, he goes in later and gets home later which makes it feels like we don't see him as much as we used to. It was nice to have him all to ourselves for the holiday.

Things I wasn't so thankful for during those four days:

1. Missing Whitney, Donald, and Caci who were spending Thanksgiving in a tee-pee in Arkansas. Hahaha!

2. Packin' on the pounds.

3. Avery clinging to me 24/7 (she tends to do that when we leave the familiarity of our home and it can be pretty exhausting, especially after four days!)

All in all it was a great weekend. We hope yours was, too!

No comments: