Yesterday as Avery was going out the door to school Ross said, "Bye, Avery! I'll miss you!"
I. Almost. Died! "Doth mine ears deceive me?" I wondered. But when Avery responded with a, "Bye! I'll miss you, too!" I knew I'd heard right.
"What is happening?!" I asked myself for the millionth time in the last few months.
Avery has always been... how do I say this... difficult and discontent. (In fact, the whole reason I started this blog was to help me see the good in her! It was a struggle.) And Ross has always been her least favorite sibling. But lately...she is a new woman, so happy, so kind, so helpful, so grateful.
Jason and I can't figure it out, but we're loving it!
We have a couple theories about what's changed:
- She found a mantra. When I painted her bedroom over Christmas break I noticed the cover of a notebook she'd ripped off and hung on her wall. It says, "Happiness Is An Inside Job." Maybe that quote helped her realized she is the one responsible for her own contentment? It was the one thing she wanted to put back up after the fresh paint. (I redid it for her using the same font as the notebook cover and added the picture of her soaring like an eagle over the Snake River by our old house in Ririe.)
- Scripture study. A few months ago I wrote these words on a chalkboard that hangs in our kitchen: "_____ Days Since We Missed Scripture Study." The goal was to be more consistent. We came up with a list of prizes we'd pick from after each 10 consecutive days (things like get freezes from A&W, have a picnic and movie night, everyone gets $1 at the Dollar Store, etc.) It took us a while to get good at it. We had to start back at zero several times in the beginning, but eventually (and especially after that first prize!) we got some momentum. Now the kids won't let us miss and we're almost to 80 days without missing family scripture study. This coincides with Avery's change in attitude, and we believe it has something to do with it. There has definitely been a sweet spirit in our home since we've made family scripture study a priority. Like President Marion G. Romney said:
"I feel certain that if, in our homes, parents will read from the Book of Mormon prayerfully and regularly, both by themselves and with their children, the spirit of that great book will come to permeate our homes and all who dwell therein. The spirit of reverence will increase; mutual respect and consideration for each other will grow. The spirit of contention will depart. Parents will counsel their children in greater love and wisdom. Children will be more responsive and submissive to the counsel of their parents. Righteousness will increase. Faith, hope, and charity--the pure love of Christ--will abound in our homes and lives, bringing in their wake peace, joy, and HAPPINESS."
Amen! Gospel truth. It works. Hallelujah!

No comments:
Post a Comment