Sunday, September 19, 2010

Boring Old Married Couple? My Eye!

It’s official. This weekend we were formally awarded the title “Boring Old Married Couple” by our single friends. I didn’t know whether to laugh or to cry. But what I did know was that at this fall’s Tabiona Fest while the majority of “youngsters” were dancing in the barn and the rest of the gang were playing cards in the house, Jason and I were sneaking quietly up the stairs to our sleeping bags. It was 10:45 for crying out loud!!! They’re lucky we were generous enough to grace them with our presence until then, seeing as it was past our bed time!

Once in our pj’s and before turning off the light, I seem to recall giving each other a high-five for so awesomely slipping off to bed unnoticed by the masses. Tomorrow those crazy night owls would pay for their poor choice while Jason and I would be well-rested and full of energy for the day… or so we thought! Around midnight we were rudely awakened by the loud whining of sirens down below. Come to find out it was only our fellow Tabi-festers who had decided to start singing karaoke in the room directly below ours. Karaoke from a bunch of drunks in a bar wouldn’t hold a candle to the rowdy performance they put on! They carried on for hours while Jason and I tossed and turned restlessly. He finally threatened that he was going to go warn them to pipe-down. Annoyed as I was at their noise, the thought of him doing that mortified me. After all, though we had turned out to be the only married couple in attendance, we hadn’t been invited as chaperones! I had to think fast to stop him, so I taught him the old “pillow-wrapped-around-the-head” trick. It worked! Soon we managed to drift back to sleep. We slept through the rest of their karaoke. We slept through the movie they projected onto the other side of our bedroom wall. We slept through them finally coming to their senses and heading to bed. It was about that time that we woke up for the day.

The sun had yet to rise and I thought it would be cool to jump on a 4-wheeler and get up on top of the mountain to greet it. We snuck through what looked like a battlefield of fallen soldiers as we made our way to the front door. Once outside, I was hesitant to start the engine in fear of waking everyone up. Jason only encouraged the move, assuring me that turn-about is fair play (hehehe!). As we whined away from the house on the wheeler the crisp fall air stung our noses and made our eyes water. Brrrr! We wound our way up a dirt road until we got into the quakies. There it appeared as though the trail was paved with gold, golden leaves that is! The fall colors were breathtaking! Just about as soon as we got on top the sun peaked up over the horizon. We welcomed its warmth. Mmmm! It was going to be beautiful day! And it was!

We spent the rest of the morning remembering how much we liked the good people who were up there with us, despite the rough night (hahaha!). We had a blast together, doing everything from riding horses to going on a wagon ride pulled by two huge, powerful Clydesdales to paddling around a pond and feeding the ginormous fish that lived in it. The latter activity proved to be the most entertaining and occupied the majority of our day in Tabi. It all started with Jason and me simply splashing our feet in the water as we sat on the dock. As we did we realized that the fish thought they were being fed so they’d come swarming over and jump out of the water trying in vain to gobble up the imaginary food. We started to try to catch them by hand. Laying on our tummies we’d splash for them and then, as if someone had rung the dinner bell, they’d all come hustling over to where we were, at which point Jason would try to snatch one out of the water. He had a lot of narrowly missed opportunities and was lucky that one fish narrowly missed biting off his finger! It actually drew blood! Youch! (As a funny side note, he isn't feeling well today and thinks he has rabies. He just warned me that if he starts foaming at the mouth I'm to shoot him, but made me promise not to do so while he's brushing his teeth. Hahaha! :).

Anyway, soon our friends joined us. One knew where real fish food was stashed by the side of the pond. That really escalated the fishes’ willingness to play into our hands. Another had a knife with which he whittled a spear to stab into the center of the feeding frenzy. When that didn’t work another friend used a stick as a club and was actually successful in knocking a fish out! Too bad it revived itself and swam away before we could fish it out of the water! Man, we had fun with that!

As we finally pulled ourselves away from the pond and started the short trek back to the house, someone brought up something about the activities of the previous night. That started a conversation on the topic and as it progressed, someone realized that they hadn’t seen us around much the night before and asked us where we’d been. Shoot! We were cornered, so we confessed that we’d snuck off to bed early. It was then that (after having avoided it for a solid 3 ½ months) we were dubbed “Boring Old Married Couple.” Dang!

However, truth be told I’m not as torn up about it as I might have imagined. Turns out I’d rather wear that title with every ounce of boringness that it implies than go back to life without Jason. He is my bosomest of all bosom friends! He is my hero! I love being with him, whether we are doing something super fun like riding our new road bikes (woot! woot!) or doing something with potential to be super boring like dishes! It’s just so great being together! Yeah, we might not stay up late partying (Not that I ever did in the first place! If we’re gonna be honest , I’ve always been early to bed boring! Hehehe!), but while we’re up and at ‘em life is one heck of a PARTAY!J I only hope that all my wonderful single friends who lovingly tease us about being old and boring will soon find themselves in the exact same spot!

3 comments:

Cathy J said...

you know I'd definitely rather be married and boring. We're glad you guys came even if you didn't appreciate our beautiful singing. :)

Anonymous said...

What a lovely couple!!!

Beth Ann said...

Ashley-sounds like you are doing awesome! Congrats on the little one! I was reading this and I thought for sure you were going to say that you were caught sleeping when your friends heard you snoring! ha ha :) Some of my favorite college memories. Sorry about the water bottle!...