Monday, September 25, 2017

New Name

While studying to teach a YW lesson about how the words we speak affect us and those around us, I was impressed by Christ's example of using words that build others up. The first time Christ met Peter he called him by name before even being introduced. (Cool!) Then he said, "thou shalt be called Cephas, which is by interpretation, A stone." (John 1:42) How inspiring! By calling Peter a stone or rock, Christ gave Peter something to live up to.

I thought about Ross' nickname: Booger Bum. Not so inspiring. I told myself it was a term of endearment, but as I paid more attention to when I used the name I noticed it was usually when I was frustrated or angry with the little tike.

I set a goal to change Ross' nickname. I decided to call him "Ross Toone," which is what my dad calls him. Now I'm always like, "You little Booger B...I mean Ross Toone," and it's amazing how my whole attitude changes from frustration to love as I'm reminded of the Savior's example. That simple change in his name is changing a lot of things: the way I speak to and treat my kids and the way they respond to me. Now instead of hitting and kicking and trying to bite me when I put him down for a nap, Ross is as sweet as can be.  Miracle!

As if that new name wasn't enough, Ross is taking it up a notch. Last night when we had one of our "Booger B...I mean Ross Toone" moments he told me not to call him Ross Toone anymore. When I asked what I should call him he said, "King Benjamin." LOL

No comments: