Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Eat Your Vitamins

(As I write this I'm eating Avery's Halloween candy that she doesn't know still exists, mwahahahaha.)

So, I know it's only day two of this little experiment, but I'm really excited about it. All day long I have been smiling to myself while mentally making a list of things Avery has said or done that I want to blog about. It's gonna be hard not to write a novel everyday because for one thing she never stops talking and for another, half the things out of her mouth seem so funny because they are so mature and she is so little. But I think it's in this blog's best interest to keep things to a minimum so that in the freak chance that she suddenly stops being funny I will have a store of sayings and such to draw from. And who knows, maybe she's only funny to me because she's mine? Probably, but I think she can be quite the card. So without further adieu...

Pretty much every morning when Avery wakes up and I go into her room the first word out of her mouth (if they aren't 'No! Go away!' which I gladly do) is "Vitamin!" Avery asks me for a vitamin at least five times a day. I was never given vitamins growing up so it probably wouldn't have occurred to me to buy any for my kids, but my bro-in-law just got a new job at a vitamin and supplement company so my sister gave me a huge bottle of leftover Kirkland's chewable dinosaur vitamins that were no longer good enough for her kids ;) And thus began Avery's infatuation with vitamins. I'm pretty sure she likes them because they taste like candy, but I think somewhere in her little head she also believes that vitamins will save your life. When Jason gets sick she always takes him one of her vitamins. When her little friend, Heston, was in the hospital she drew him a picture of vitamins and we stapled a little baggie to it that she filled with some vitamins for him. So cute. Every day she ate her vitamin with her breakfast and asked me for another one at every other meal and sometimes in between just in case I'd change my mind about the one a day rule. (I hadn't.)

Then came the dreadful day when I actually read the label on the vitamin bottle and discovered that Avery was overdosing! Oops! Because of her age she was only supposed to have 1/2 a vitamin per day. She tried everything to get me to still give her the full thing. Every morning she'd stand up on our tallest bar stool and stretch her arms as high as she could reach and tell me that now she was big enough to eat the whole thing. I didn't give in. Now she is resigned to the fact that she's only getting a half. Her one request is (instead of me biting it and eating the other half (What?!? They're tasty!)), "Just cut it, mom!"

No comments: