Thursday, April 22, 2010

His Story

Ashley thought a blog would be a good idea to help get the word out about our wedding as well as share our versions of how we came to be together.

Without further ado, here is my story:

It was a dark and stormy night... or maybe not. I don't remember exactly what the weather was like, but I do remember the day I first met Ashley. My roommate had decided to host a dinner party and invite a lot of people, who were invited to invite other people. It was going to be huge. Ashley's friend, Sarah, was among those invited and she invited Ashley to come over. On the day of the dinner party, I had to do my hometeaching, so I left my empty apartment before the party and went about my business. I got a text message a little while later from my roommate wondering when I would be coming home.

Well, I wasn't too excited about the dinner party, but I was done hometeaching and I was hungry, so I went on home. My apartment was full of people - most of them I didn't know. I grabbed a plate and hung out by the kitchen. At some point in the evening, I noticed Ashley in my apartment and I thought to myself, "She's really cute." I'm kinda a shy guy when it comes to pretty girls, so I didn't think I would end up meeting her.

The evening was winding down and people were leaving and I was chatting with a girl in my ward (at least I think she's in my ward?) when Ashley came and joined the conversation. I remembered her from earlier and was happy to get to talk to her. Soon the conversation was just Ashley and I. We were talking about jobs, life and all that. I don't remember specifically all the things we talked about, but I know she talked about the mosquito abatement and Fastenal. I remember I talked about how I wanted to move to Texas and get a ranch with an old truck and a yellow lab. She told me how much smarter and cooler Border Collies are than Labs. It was a pleasant conversation and when it ended, it just ended. I didn't get her phone number or she mine, there was no indication that we would ever see each other again. I don't have a good explanation for why I didn't ask for her number, but I'm so thankful that Providence gave me a chance at redemption.

A couple days later Ashley's friend, Sarah, called me and asked if I wanted to go on a group date. I thought she was asking me out for herself, but turns out she was arranging a date between Ashley and I. We went snowshoeing (my first time) up Millcreek Canyon. Turns out, Ashley's hands get really cold pretty easily. That worked out just fine because mine are usually quite warm. After the date, I made sure I had her phone number - she was someone I had to see again. A couple more dates and the hook was set, she had me.

Since that time, Ashley has become the most important person in my life. Before I met her, I had given up on finding someone and falling in love. My plan was to get through school, move to Texas, get some land, an old truck and a dog and live a life by myself for myself. Then Ashley came along and she changed something in me - that life alone that had seemed like a certainty and which once was so appealing to me no longer holds any appeal. I don't want to even imagine what life without her would be like. I consider myself to be, by far, the luckiest and most blessed person to have her in my life. Ashley is the most wonderful person I've ever met and that doesn't even come close to being completely accurate, but it's the closest word I know that describes her (some others that come close are: incredible, amazing, fantastic, awesome, terrific, and remarkable). When I think that I will have the pleasure of being with her forever, I wonder sometimes if my heart will burst. So far it hasn't, but there's been some definite close calls.

Now what she's doing with this undeserving schmuck, I couldn't tell you... but let's keep that between us, shall we? ;)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

SO freakin cute! I'm getting excited for you two!

lynandsky said...

Okay, that is a cute story! What a great idea to share it in this way.

Levi and Kami's Blog said...

You are so great...so great!

Shannon said...

Hey guys, I hope you are having fun on your getaway! We are so elated for you; your wedding day was absolutely beautiful! Thanks so much for letting us share it with you and for being such fabulous people. I am excited to get to know Ashley better when you bring her to California to visit us, Jason (hint, hint)! Are you guys going to keep this blog up? Hope so :).
Much love
shan